Today I’ve been considering the sources we poets turn to for poetic inspiration–so today’s Wordsmith Wednesday is for poets although I’m sure that it can be useful to prose writers as well. I’m going to short-list some of the sources I turn to to be inspired in my writing. I’m hoping that you will add to it in the comments section.
- Nature–look for details, metaphors, lessons that are present all around us. When stuck, it often helps me to take a walk. I’m blessed to live in a place that is replete with nature’s offerings.
- Reading–read other poets. Their work often tickles my creative muse. I’ve mentioned some of my favorites in my list of recommended reading.
- News sources–look for the seeds of story-poems hidden in the newspaper, on the Internet or on TV news broadcast.
- Poetic Forms–do an Internet search and check out poetic forms. For me, the discipline of a form can jump-start and idea.
- Spirituality–look to metaphysical/religious ideas and writings such as the Bible or holy books of other spiritual traditions. Look within at your own spiritual experience.
- Relationships–these evoke emotional reactions that are often begging to be expressed.
- History–check out historical events as well as your own history. There are stories to tell.
- Mythology–although this is not an area of expertise for me, I’ve read much poetry that draws on the classical myths, stories that transcend time.
- Science–a wonderful well-spring of poetic inspiration.
- Art–Use painting, sculpture, photography and translate your experience into words.
- Writing Prompts–those of us who participate in writing communities have a wealth of material tossed out at us on a daily or weekly basis. Check out some of the sites on my blogroll. I’d love to see you link up to my own Monday Morning Writing Prompt.
- Political issues–need I say more? My personal viewpoint is to stay away from personal attacks and stick to the issues.
I hope these will be helpful to you, especially if you are feeling stuck right now. There are more–help me expand the list if you will!