“The drop is a small ocean.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
They walk by,
enveloped in concern,
oblivious to oceans of beauty
that surround them—
• undulating water in the stream caressing the rocky earth beneath
• a tiny leaf unfurling her greenness on a distant branch
• mockingbird chortling joy upon his treetop perch
• little mouse, concealed beneath hosta’s broad umbrella
• droplets of dew flashing seductive rainbows from every blade of grass
• and me.
I was the first to open,
now one among the many,
lost in a swath of golden beauty.
I offer my delight
only to go unseen.
I have been, for the most part, unable to be a part of dVerse for a while. Back toward the end of March, Mish invited us to write a poem from the point of view of nature. In a feeble effort to play catch up, this is mine, posted for OLN.